Wednesday, October 22, 2008

New Watchmen Extended Trailer from Spike TV's Scream Awards



Zack Synder and company premiered an extended version of the original Watchmen trailer last night on Spike TV's Scream Awards. Ever since the news of the ending change hit the web last week, I have been considerably less-excited about seeing this movie. At the beginning of last week, I was so excited that I could barely stand it. This movie was the only thing that was on my mind. Now, I'm still excited but not much more than the average film. I'm sorry but, for me, you just gotta have that original ending. It makes the book so much more than it already was. And knowing that it's not going to be there when we get to the end is definitely going to take a lot out of the experience for me. I'm sorry but it's true. What makes me even more sick is all these sheep that were so fast to jump on the bandwagon for the new ending. Are saying that Zack Synder has a better idea than Alan Moore? There's no way in hell that that is true. He should have done what he said he was going to do, grown a pair of balls and gone with the original ending- not just in spirit but all the way.

Anyways, enough of that. The new trailer contains a lot of the old trailer but also has a lot of new shots. As expected, everything looks like a money shot and there's a lot of slow-motion (this is Zack Synder we're talking about here). Also, if you look carefully, you can see a shot from the new ending with Laurie and Dr. Manhattan. Still, there is some cool stuff in there. I liked seeing some of Ozymandius' Antarctica retreat, Rorschach still looks like a bad-a, giant Dr. Manhattan looks awesome, the visuals look really good and that shot of Laurie and Dan kissing in front of the nuclear explosion that is coming at them is wonderful (in fact, that was one of my favorite panels from the graphic novel- glad that made it in there). I also like the full version of the Comedian being thrown out of the window.

Obviously, I still am nursing my wounds over the ending change but it will probably be a decent movie. Since it doesn't come out until March 6th (lawsuit with Fox pending), maybe I will be over the change by then. At least I didn't have to find out about it while in the screening. Now that would have been devastating. 

Check the new trailer out at the top of the article.

0 comments: