Monday, October 6, 2008

Speech of the Week #11 - Jason Edition


Hey guys, welcome to a new column here on YDKS Movies entitled Speech of the Week! For now on, every Monday I will post a new scene from a movie that features a speech of some sort being given. After all, there are a lot of famous scenes in film where characters give an influential speech of some sort. Then again, there are also a lot of scenes where characters give a speech and it just comes off cheesy and lame. In this section, you will see both kinds. That's right, people, I'm giving you the good and bad of film speeches all wrapped up in one great big package. I hope you all enjoy.

Wesley, in his infinite kindness has given me the dubious honor of taking over his Speech of the Week column this time. And have I got a treat for you.

A couple weeks ago, my roommate and I got the urge to watch The Jerk. And let me tell you it is absolutely one of the best urges anyone can have. Anyway, after we were done quoting all that we could, we got a little Steve Martin happy and proceeded to rent another one of his classics, The Three Amigos. Admittedly, the movie was not as funny as I remember from days past. That is, until the El Guapo Speech.

Besides the humor, the video below (appropriately titled The Famous El Guapo Speech) is very inspirational. And it is a call for everyone to have hope and courage when they face what they fear the most. So take up arms everyone, look your own El Guapo in the eye, and don't forget your sombrero.



Full Transcript:

In a way, all of us have an El Guapo to face some day. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big dangerous guy who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santo Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be the actual El Guapo.

3 comments:

Wesley said...

I have to admit- I've never seen this movie.

With that said, I actually really enjoyed this speech. Steve Martin used to have some pretty good comic timing. Good job, Jason.

Jason said...

Thanks for letting me take over the column for a week man. It was fun!

Dan Bowling said...

I am a candidate for a masters in positive psychology at the University of Pennsylvania and recently included the El Guapo speech in an academic paper on phobias - I thought you would be interested to know El Guapo is being discussed in the Ivy Leagues!

Professor Dan ("Jefe") Bowling, Duke University
1