Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Someone Dares to Adapt Haunted as a Film

According to /Film, Koen Mortier is writing and directing a film adaptation of Fight Club / Choke writer Chuck Palahniuk's controversial Haunted. The book is made up of twenty-three short stories told by people on what they think is an oridinary a writer's retreat away from the rest of the world in an old, abandoned theater. However, as time goes on, it turns out more than they originally thought is going on and that their food and power supply is slowly becoming more and more limited. As this occurs, their stories become more and more extreme, disturbing and insane.


I have not read Haunted but I have heard that it is one of the most disturbing and honestly upsetting books that Palahniuk has written. Out of all of his books, it seems like the least likely to be adapted into a film. Most of this has to do with the most infamous of the short stories in the book. This short story is called Guts.

While I have not read Haunted, I have read Guts. Guts is probably the most messed up thing that I have ever read. It revolves around two friends of the narrator and two of their masterbation experiences gone horribly wrong. At the end of the story, the narrator gives his own experience in that field and it is definitely the worst of the three. I was told about the story by my friends Guy and Zach. It is one of those things that you would hear about from someone else just because it is so insane. This story is so shocking that over 60 people have fainted when Palahniuk has read it aloud at public appearances in book stores. It was published in Playboy (ironic, isn't it?) a few years ago and you can read it free on Palaniuk's website here. But be warned- it really is the most painful thing I've ever read. It will get to you in ways you never thought possible.

So yeah, after reading that, I have no idea how this movie is going to be made without being NC-17. I honestly cannot see a film adaptation of just Guts being feasible. But who knows, I could be wrong. We will see.

Source: /Film

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the hell is this site about anyway, I see no mention of "the Rocky Horror Picture Show", probably the greatest tits and ass horror show ever made!!! Horror flicks are very blase in todays culture anyway, you should concentrate on more mature themes, like for example, Pride and Prejudice, now there's a film I could sink my teeth into, the British version of course, and not that silly tripe they made staring Keira Knightley. For God's sake when is someone going to wise up and make a horror movie starring Penelope cruz or dare I say it, Scarlett Johannson ! Now thats a show I could watch, just to catch a glimpse of those bodacious ta-ta's. Until then, let them eat cake or go sit through Saw XIII.

Wesley said...

Dad, don't write on the site.