Saturday, August 30, 2008

10 Things Better Than Going to the Movies This Weekend (Or the Next...)


First, let me just say that if feels good to be writing again. It has been about 2 weeks since my last post, and there are already readers calling for my head and offering to replace me. Well dear friends, this is not going to happen. What IS happening is that YDKS has become a force to be reckoned with in Cyberspace, and people are trying to jump on the bandwagon. This is not another Caleb situation guys, and I, Jason, am here to stay.

Now onto the article. This weekend and next weekend are bringing 3 of the most lazy releases we have seen in a long time with Babylon A.D. and Disaster Movie released yesterday and Bangkok Dangerous (*ahem* Nicholas "Bear Suit" Cage *ahem*) being released September 5th. So I have compiled a list of things you can do other than go to the movies this weekend.



Watch College Football

We nerds like sports too, and the Holy Grail of all sports is making its debut this weekend. Now we will finally have some highlights on ESPN other than outfielders making diving catches while running into walls and each other. I believe once the NFL starts (I have a pretty awesome fantasy team this year by the way), there will be football on TV almost everyday of the week.



Watch Freaks and Geeks

The fact that Freaks and Geeks only lasted one glorious season is one of the worst tragedies in television history. This show is perfect in every way and me and my roommate just finished watching the series. Find it, watch it, rejoice that we got what we got.



Read/Re-read Watchmen

I just read Watchmen for the first time in preparation for the upcoming film version in 2009. It is as amazing as the world and its fan base have said it is. And, quite frankly, I have to agree with Alan Moore in that I don't know how they are going to pull this off as a film. And there were points during my reading where I was sad that Zack Snyder and Co. were actually making a film out of it. Watchmen is so involved, multi-layered and complex that people have actually criticized it for "taking the fun out of comics" in general. The only way to make the film is to rape novel, and that is sad. Unless what Kevin Smith said was true. Let's hope it is.



Have a Double Feature of your Favorite Movies

Wesley's recent Double Feature with a couple of John Carpenter movies inspired this list item, and I can think of no better way to spend one night, or a couple nights of the weekend than renting and watching two group movies surrounded by your favorite friends.


Watch The Line and/or Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog on Hulu

I discovered The Line through Slash Film's Video of the Day column, and you already know how I feel about Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Both are Internet-based "shows" that do a great job of exploiting the medium. Watch them here and here.



Go to Chuck E. Cheese

I know from experience there is one in Jackson for our dear readers down south. The ticket jackpots are enormous on the weekends, and you will find that your hand-eye coordination has improved since the last time you had your birthday party there. 10 bucks gets you plenty of tokens. And you can eat there. And you ca...I better stop now.



Eat the Never Ending Pasta Bowl at Olive Garden

This promotion is going on right now, and trust me, it is worth it. You will eat so much that there won't be room for any other plans.



Play Type Racer

Type Racer is a fun Internet-based game that lets you test your typing speed against other people as you all race to type movie, book, and song quotes the fastest. This will keep you busy for hours.



Watch The Dark Knight for the 5th time

Ok, I know what the title of this post says. But seriously, would you ever want to waste an opportunity to watch this one in theaters again. I don't think so.



Read YDKS Movies

Oh wait. You mean you already do this anyway? That is awesome, and smarter than going to the movies too!


Well that's it. Hope you enjoyed it. And for those of you out there trying to take over for me here at YDKS, stop it. You know who you are.

1 comments:

Wesley said...

Great, epic post, man. Good to have you back.

Strange enough, my friends and I have been watching Freaks and Geeks ever since getting back to school. It really is one of the best shows ever made.

I'm glad you finally got to read Watchmen. It truly is the greatest graphic novel ever written. I'm pumped about the movie but I definitely have my doubts. Still, we will always have the book. And it was always be amazing.

Double feature nights are something that I hope to have a lot of.

I still need to see The Dark Knight for the 5th time. We've all been talking about wanting to go and see it again. Maybe we will.