Friday, August 8, 2008

Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards Casting is Super Random


Quentin Tarantino is finally making his long rumored, talked about and hyped WWII epic Inglorious Bastards and man is the casting incredibly random. The first person cast was Eli Roth, director of Cabin Fever and Hostel as Sgt. Donnie Donowitz. Considering Eli Roth is not an actor by any means and is hated by most of the online community (not by me though- I think he is tolerable), this casting decision was met with a lot of confusion and negativity. The next person cast was even more random: B.J. Novak, who plays Ryan on the quite brilliant U.S. version of The Office. Novak is in talks to play PFC Utivich. The last person that I would think to be cast in a Quentin Tarantino film would be Ryan from The Office so I definitely considered this to be quite a surprise (Roth may not be an actor but he directed the Thanksgiving trailer in Grindhouse and acted in a small role in Tarantino's Death Proof portion of that film). Still, I have to say that I'm excited to see what Novak can do in a huge film like this, especially with Tarantino at the helm. 


Finally, the last person officially cast in Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards is Brad Pitt as Aldo Raine, who leads the Jewish-American soldiers against the Nazi threat in Germany. Pitt has been rumored to star in the film for weeks now but it's good to know that he is confirmed. With his confirmation comes the news that Simon Pegg (of Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and Spaced fame) is also up for a role.

Man, talk about random casting. I have to admit that I'm sad that the rumored dream cast that has been talked about for years (with the likes of Slyvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Eddie Murphy) is not coming to fruition. I think the myth and history of this film may end up overshadowing whatever Tarantino ends up filming. Still, with that said, it looks like we're going to be getting one of the strangest, testosterone-filled war epics ever made. 

Let's face it- this thing is going to be an insanity-filled five hour epic. Latino Review give the script a very positive review and said that it is just as epic as you would think it would be. And, while I'm very excited to see what Tarantino has in store for us all, I did read an excerpt from the script and I gotta admit- it had some of the worst grammar I've ever seen. You can read that excerpt here on Filmdrunk.

So yeah, I guess it could be bad. I don't really know what I'm trying to say here, this post is going all over the place. Ummm...

Summary:

-The casting for Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards is really random as it contains non-actors (Eli Roth), comedians (B.J. Novak and Simon Pegg), and Brad Pitt. 
-The script for the movie is supposed to be insane, long, and very epic.
-That same script contains the spelling and grammar of a third grader.
-Quentin Tarantino is doing a lot of cocaine so this thing could go either way.

This has the potential of a massive train-wreck but consider me excited anyway. 

Source: Filmdrunk

1 comments:

Jason said...

That is about as random as it gets. But Tarantino knows what he is doing. He will get the job done with this weird, but talented, cast. I have faith in this project.