Sunday, August 17, 2008

Speech of the Week #4

Hey guys, welcome to a new column here on YDKS Movies entitled Speech of the Week! For now on, every Monday I will post a new scene from a movie that features a speech of some sort being given. After all, there are a lot of famous scenes in film where characters give an influential speech of some sort. Then again, there are also a lot of scenes where characters give a speech and it just comes off cheesy and lame. In this section, you will see both kinds. That's right, people, I'm giving you the good and bad of film speeches all wrapped up in one great big package. I hope you all enjoy.


I've got a lot to do tomorrow so I'm post the Speech of the Week a little earlier this time. Still, it's just as good as it always is. This week's speech is actually from a really good movie- in fact, it's one of my favorite movies: Blade Runner.

This speech comes from the very end of the film, so, if you haven't seen the movie... you may not want to read on or watch the speech for that matter. Let's just say it is very spoilerific. 

If you are a big fan of Blade Runner, then you probably know what speech I'm referring to already. That's right: it's the famous "Tears in Rain" speech. At the end of the film, Roy Batty finally reaches the end of his four year life span and dies right in front of Deckard (this is, of course, after trying to kill him and then... saving him). Before dying, Batty (played brilliantly by the great Rutger Hauer) gives this very poignant speech about all the amazing things he was able to see in his very short life time and how those memories will all be lost. What's even more amazing is that Hauer ab-libbed a lot of the speech, including the famous "tears in rain" part. 

This is one of my favorite speeches from a movie because it should be really cheesy but, due to Hauer's great acting talent, it comes off very touching and pretty much heartbreaking. 



Here's a full transcript of the speech:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die."


It's all very simple but Hauer makes it so much more. I hope you enjoyed this one. I know I did.

3 comments:

movie_fan225 said...

Movin on up... #95. Keep it up, guys.

Jason said...

I love this post series!

Anonymous said...

Nice one wesblo, I'm very impressed by how incredible your guys are.