Monday, August 4, 2008

TR2N and Steven Lisberger


Have you ever watched an older movie, and failed to understand how you missed watching it during your childhood? I have an extensively unmitigated list, and Tron has now deservingly been added. My interest with Tron began with the bootlegged TR2N teaser from Comic-Con. While I was always aware there was a Tron, along with its slavish cult following, I would just casually pass by it as I searched through my local Blockbuster. But watching the new teaser with the audience's reactions made Tron a must see. And it was glorious! The things Steven Lisberger, the director, and his crew were able to do with computers in the archaic year of 1982, blew my mind. My love only increased upon watching the special features and listening to Steven Lisberger talk with much passion and pride about his extraordinary film.

All this is to say that I was extremely disappointed last week when I read Jim Hill's Toon Thursday column.

In the article, Hill talks about John Lasseter's pivotal role in bringing to life the 20+ year-old Tron sequel and how that role has interfered with ideas that were already in place. What really disturbed me was the news of Steven Lisberger's departure from the project. Lisberger had been working on scripting the Tron sequel for over 5 years, and suddenly everything he had created was reduced to nothing more than a Co-Producer credit.

However, not very long after that article was released, Harry Knowles at Aint It Cool News received this email from none other that Steven Lisberger himself:

Hey Harry-

Jim Hill’s piece on Tr2n sounds very dramatic but actually we are trying to put all the drama into the script. I can assure you I am very much involved with Tr2n. It’s a collaborative effort just like the first film was. We have a very talented and dedicated young group and I am doing my best to inspire them as much as they are inspiring me. The trailer, as amazing as it is, is only the beginning.

All the best,

Steven Lisberger


In other words, Steven Lisberger is still creatively involved with TR2N and he even went on to say that all of his work over the past 5 years has directly led the project to where it is today! Turns out Jim Hill was just doing the MCP's bidding. Shame on you Jim.


1 comments:

Wesley said...

Sounds good. I just re-watched Tron recently and I am looking forward to this sequel very much.