Monday, August 18, 2008

Nostalgic Corner: I Have Goosebumps!


Here at Nostalgic Corner, we bring you thoughts of better times, and how all of those memories you hold dear are now either being hijacked or are being given their well deserved reintroduction.



Columbia Studios recently acquired the movie rights to the famous R. L. Stine created Goosebumps book series back in May from Scholastic. Their hope is to make it into a recurring money making franchise using some younger actors that subsequently age as the saga progresses.

News hit the net recently that the writing duo Larry Karaszewski and Scott Alexander are in negotiations to pen the first big screen adaptation with the deal expected to close this week.

You may remember Karaszewski and Alexander as the writers from Tim Burton's classic Ed Wood, and notable others such as The People Vs. Larry Flynt, Man on the Moon, and the once Tim Burton attached Ripley's Believe It or Not adaptation. You may not remember that they were also the writers for the Problem Child franchise (for which we will set aside judgment, for now).

But aside from the writer's inconsistency, I had no idea Goosebumps was still going on. But then again, I guess I am not the target market anymore. Either way, I may go see this just to get my nostalgic fix. When I was growing up, both Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark were huge franchises that were (and maybe still are) genuinely scary. I think I may have the VHS tapes somewhere. I am going to go find them!

Source: The Hollywood Reporter via Ain't It Cool News

4 comments:

movie_fan225 said...

I was actually gonna mention Are You Afraid of the Dark until I read that last paragraph. It was waaaay better than Goosebumps. Still, this would be a fun, nostalgic movie to go see.

Daniel said...

dude are u afraid of the dark will always be better than goosebumps but i still remember reading the books when i was younger i will be one of those twenty something year olds going to se the goosebump movies if they ever come out just to relieve my childhood

Wesley said...

Problem Child was awesome, Jason. Seriously.

Anyways, I will probably end up seeing this. After all, when Cartoon Network started re-airing all the Goosebumps episodes this past Halloween I pretty much watched all of them.

Are You Afraid of the Dark was better, though.

movie_fan225 said...

I'm glad we're all in agreement that Are You Afraid of the Dark was better. Makes me have a smidgeon more faith in you guys' abilities to judge good movies and such. Not that I didn't before. I haven't been posting on this site since the beginning out of pity, you know.