Monday, August 11, 2008

Speech of the Week #3

Hey guys, welcome to a new column here on YDKS Movies entitled Speech of the Week! For now on, every Monday I will post a new scene from a movie that features a speech of some sort being given. After all, there are a lot of famous scenes in film where characters give an influential speech of some sort. Then again, there are also a lot of scenes where characters give a speech and it just comes off cheesy and lame. In this section, you will see both kinds. That's right, people, I'm giving you the good and bad of film speeches all wrapped up in one great big package. I hope you all enjoy.


So the last two speeches came from what could be considered pretty bad movies (though many will argue for Independence Day as being awesome). This week's speech comes from a movie that could be argued as being pretty cliche and bad as well. However, I don't know anyone who doesn't like this movie. In fact, ask most what their favorite Rocky movie is and they'll reply Rocky IV. Although the first film is my favorite of the Rocky series, my second favorite and easily the most re-watchable of the series is Rocky IV. It's a movie I shouldn't like but, for some reason, it's just too much fun to not like. It's stereotypical and reeks of Cold War propaganda (the Russian boxer is evil and uses steroids) but it's just too entertaining and nostalgic to not love. I love this movie. And, most of all, I love this speech.

Yep, that's right people: this is the speech that Rocky used to end the Cold War. In fact, whenever the ending of the Cold War is talked about on the news, I always think "Rocky ended that." Of course, in real life, he didn't but, after watching this speech, you'll want to think he did. It's borderline ridiculous and extremely unrealistic but, hey, it's fun. And yeah, it's pretty funny too.



I hope you guys enjoyed that- I know I did. After all, "if I can change and you can change... everybody can change!" So inspirational. Tune in next week for a speech of a more serious and touching nature. And yes, it is from a bonafide good movie. 

1 comments:

Jason said...

We watched this in one of my history classes as an illustration to study the Cold War. That teacher also dressed up like a "flapper" when we studied the 20's.