Friday, August 15, 2008

Re-Watching: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog


I wasn't planning on Re-Watching becoming a standard column. But I like it, and I will be featuring some awesome movies (because I only watch awesome movies) here. Actually, I will be writing about any movie or clip or video that I have recently "re-watched." My first post involved some Underrated Movie Trailers. But today we are going to go a little different.

Joss Whedon is probably best known for his work in television. He is the mind behind shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and the short-lived Firefly. He also has a new show, Dollhouse, starring the beautiful Eliza Dushku, set to air in January 09.

Whedon was also a key writer on movies such as Toy Story, in which he was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, and others including Buffy the Vampire Slayer (movie came before the show), Alien: Resurrection, and the awesome Titan A.E.

In 2005, Whedon's Serenity, the Firefly movie, was released to minimal reaction (unless you were a Firefly fan).

I write all this to say, that aside from the movies he co-wrote, I have never seen anything else by Whedon. I knew he was a super geek, and he had super geek fans, and everyone in that little universe was happy. But I just was unenthusiastic when it came to Whedon and his material.

And that is why it took me so long to warm up to Whedon's Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is an internet released musical movie project that Whedon and his brothers came up with during the Writer's Strike.

According to Wikipedia:

The idea was to create something small and inexpensive, yet professionally done, in a way that would circumvent the issues that were being protested during the strike.

And not only it is professionally done, it is actually good.

I first heard about this project through various Comic-Con footage, and the consensus was great. As time went by I heard more and more about the significance of its internet only release, and how it was doing great in the iTunes standings. So I watched it, and I have been showing to everbody ever since.

I won't go into plot details, just watch it and you'll understand. Even Robert Downey Jr. could get it. It is available in three acts on Hulu, if you only have so much time to spare, but below is the full embedded file. Watch, then Re-Watch!



Turns out Whedon is cool after all, except for the whole Atheist thing. I bet your singing those songs right now aren't you?

2 comments:

Wesley said...

I have heard lots about this thing but still have not seen it. However, before I go back to college next Friday I will watch this thing. I mean it. Whedon's pretty cool in my book because Serenity was freaking awesome. I'm looking forward to watching this thing. Nathan Fillon is the man.

movie_fan225 said...

Thank you for posting on this. I watched this a while back, and immediately liked it. I plan on rewatching it again very soon. Probably with Wesley. He needs to see it.