Wednesday, July 2, 2008

2 Minute Review: Castle in the Sky

I have approximately 10 minutes this morning to post a little something for you guys and I thought, "Hey, I should just pick a movie and write about it for 10 minutes while trying to make it logical and worthy of attention." So here it is; probably the first of many 10 minute reviews:




Castle in the Sky is a 1986 film directed by Hayao Miyazaki. As far as I have read, the only complaint anyone has with Miyazaki is that his imagination is so large and complex, that anything he makes automatically has to be done in cartoon form. That's not really a complaint, rather than just plain awesome. The guy is a genius and I am sure his movies are still only able to capture just a sliver of what he thinks about.

Castle in the Sky is about the legend of an ancient civilization called Laputa. Laputa once ruled the entire world through its advanced technology. However, Laputa dissappears, and many believe that it remains as a flying castle in the sky. We follow Pazu and Sheeta on their quests to uncover the secrets of the lost city and themselves.

I don't want to give away any other details because this movie is simply breathtaking. It has pirates, secret agents, robots, government conspiracies, the coolest flying machines ever, awesome cartoon fight scenes and chases, and you guessed it, a giant castle in the sky. The movie is utterly outstanding in every way, and was a nice getaway from the piles of dung than line today's movie theater aisles. Check it out if you have a chance, and it may not have felt like it to you, but that's 10 minutes for me.

Just a reminder, anyone can make a comment now even if you don't have a Google account. I have noticed that traffic has increased and we want to grant everyone the opportunity to speak. Me and Wesley love reading your comments, and we will always comment back, even if we tend to respond a week late sometimes.

We have some cool stuff in store for you guys in the coming weeks. Until then, go watch something!

3 comments:

Wesley said...

I haven't seen this movie. I'm not really into animated stuff to be honest. However, I enjoyed your brief but informative review.

Jason said...

I think everyone should watch it. I am not that into japanese style animation at all, but this one just captured me for some reason.

Austin said...

Wes is an anime hater. He gives no credit to the potential and greatness anime can provide. Anime is just the easiest form when it comes to touching on any genre that in other situations would be way too complex and hard to touch on. Just about all of Miyazaki's works are on a grand scale like this one. My personal favorites are Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa.