Monday, July 21, 2008

Remake Alert: The Monster Squad

While YDKS was off playing in Batmanland for an entire week, the rest of the world mourned as this sad news was ushered to the presses.

Adding another classic to the pointless remake list, Rob Cohen, in an interview with Bloody Disgusting (which is the exact expression my British friends used when I told them this news), revealed that he will be producing a remake of the classic Fred Dekker film The Monster Squad.

Now, I speak for both Wesley and myself when I say that we here at YDKS take The Monster Squad very seriously. It is an epic symbol of our childhoods, and it is a movie we both hold in very high regards. The fact that Rob Cohen, aka Lametard, thinks that this would be a "prime remake" is nothing short of spitting in my face, and the rest of the 80's kids responsible for making this film the cult classic that it is today.

Rob Cohen was an Executive Producer on the 1987 Monster Squad. You think he would know how sacred it was. Since that time Cohen has gone on to direct such gems as The Skulls, The Fast and the Furious, xXx, Stealth, and the upcoming Mummy sequel. Is anyone else seeing a pattern? Because all of those movies (with the exception of the new Mummy, which is not available for us to laugh at yet) flat out sucked.

Thank you Rob Cohen for letting us all in on the fun as you continue to build your career through movies no sane person will care about in 10 years. This is a very sad day for film fans everywhere, and is no doubt going to be another trashy addition to Cohen's already horrible resume.


Sources: Bloody Disgusting via /Film

2 comments:

Wesley said...

I always get a little upset when I hear that a movie that I really care about is getting remade but this one just takes the cake. I was literally sick upon hearing this news. This just should NOT happen. Please, movie gods, don't let this remake occur. Monster Squad is untouchable. It is my childhood.

movie_fan225 said...

Anyone up for a roadtrip to sabotage the set? I'm in. Just need some more people to contribute gas money.
I am not as dedicated a follower of the film as Wesley or Jason, but after seeing this movie, there is no way in hell a remake of it could be any good. Especially coming from someone who has directed a movie in which Vin Diesel is the star. Someone should make Cohen quit life. He's not welcome here anymore.