Saturday, July 19, 2008

YDKS Covers the Jackson ComiCon


With Dark Knight Week still going strong here on YDKS Movies, I figure that it gives us the perfect chance to continue to nerd out and cover comic books and everything related to them. So when Austin and I found out that there was going to be a ComiCon in Jackson this weekend, we knew knew that we had to go and we had to get some pictures of the event for YDKS

Since the thing was taking place in Jackson, MS, we knew that it wasn't going to be very big. After all, nothing ever goes on in Jackson. Nothing. So, with that in mind, we figured that we were lucky to even have a ComiCon of the slightest sense. Still, it was pretty surprising to walk into the Regency Hotel and find the ComiCon occurring in... well, a room. A pretty small room at that.

We weren't sure if we really wanted to stay at first but, after Blossom arrived, he amped up our spirits with his strange but catchy enthusiasm for the event and, thus, we ended up staying for about an hour and a half. Yep, an hour and a half. Honestly, I cannot remember what we did for that hour and half other than walk around that small room but we were definitely there for that span of time. Again, I blame Blossom. 

This was Blossom's mecca.

When we first arrived to the event, it was just me, Austin, and my brother's friend Julian. At first I didn't feel like taking pictures and, because of that, I missed a great moment. Julian ended up walking up to this one booth that had a couple of swords behind it. "I see you have some swords," he said as he approached the table. He then got to hold each one of them, all of which were about as big as his body. It was a pretty funny image and I wish I had gotten a picture of it. Then, Blossom arrived and, with his enthusiasm, I began to take pictures. Below you can find some random pictures I took all around the room of various comics and collectibles. Some of them are pretty cool.

Dark Knight Week would not be complete with some Batman collectibles.

Along with Batman collectibles, there were many Batman comics.

They also had this Heath Ledger Joker statue for $175. I wanted it.

They had this Absolute version of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. I already own the regular version of the graphic novel... but I gotta admit, I wanted this Absolute version.

Thor!

Good Ole' Bizarro Superman as a collectible. 

They had a lot of Star Wars stuff.

The teaser poster from Spider-man featuring the World Trade Center. It was signed by Stan Lee. I'd like to have this one hanging on my wall.

As we continued to walk around the event, I keep noticing all these little kids running around with signs saying "Comic-book girl" taped on their backs. I think that they were the kids of one of the guys from Heroes and Dreams. Anyways, I got a picture of one of them. 

One of the first things we noticed when we walked in was a guy dressed up as an Tie Fighter from Star Wars. After Blossom arrived, we decided to get a picture with the guy, as you can see below. After the picture, I talked with him for a little bit and learned that he basically made the entire suit (except the helmet) from scratch. This guy was pretty dedicated. I respect him for that. 

After a while, we started looking at some of the featured artists of the ComiCon. One of them was Jesse Labbe. Jesse was a pretty nice guy and he had some pretty cool artwork that I took some pictures of below. 

A drawing of Deadpool.

This was one of my favorites. Good ole' Mortal Kombat.

These two pictures are of Jesse working on a Black Cat drawing for someone.

After a brainstorming session, we decided to ask Jesse to do a drawing for us. After going through various ideas such as "Batman eating a pizza," "Batman at a urinal," "Joker doing stand-up," and "Joker taking care of children," we made this drawing request: "Batman angrily flipping off a box of baby kittens." Jesse was cool enough to be down with that request and Austin is going by the Con tomorrow to pick up the finished drawing. I will post a picture of what it looks like when he gets it. 

Overall, Jesse was pretty laid back and took our ridiculous drawing request with a smile. You should check out more of his art here. He's really got some cool stuff. 

The Jackson ComiCon was a pretty interesting experience. It definitely was in a smaller venue than I expected it to be but, over time, my group and I warmed up to the setting and enjoyed it for what it was worth. After all, we got to see some cool comics, collectibles, and met a cool artist. Overall, it was a pretty good day.

2 comments:

movie_fan225 said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this event. After The Dark Knight, it was definitely my favorite part of this weekend. It made me feel like such a kid again. I actually gained alot of respect for these people and their dedication to such an intriguing world or comic books. Two thumbs up from me. Tie Fighters + Batman memorabilia + Jesse and his artwork = Good times for all.
Also, I would like to take time to point out to everyone the pics of Wesley. This guy puts so much time and effort into maintaining this site, and rarely if ever recognizes himself for it. I'm really glad he put pics of himself up. Please, everyone reading this, send the guy a message saying thanks for all the hard work and dedication. He more than deserves it.
Lastly, I would like to say that I am honored to be a part of this site (in whatever sense I am a part of it) and say that it has been an honor thus far. I really look forward to working with Austin on the Revolution site and Wesley with whatever I can help with. I plan on plugging this site and putting its name out there for the general public in every way I can. Viva la revolution.

Jason said...

looks like too much fun for just one small room!