Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Rian Johnson's The Brothers Bloom Trailer

First of all, if you don't know who Rian Johnson is, then shame on you. Because then you have either A, never watched Brick, or B, never taken the time to check out the people that are responsible for the movie your watching. Either way you are the lametard for the day.

Brick was released in 2006 as Rian Johnson's directorial debut. It is a smart, edgy detective story revolving around drugs and high school kids. And although the word "noir" was never used on set during the filming, it is precisely that. Joseph Gordon-Levitt stars, as his character goes on a mind bending trip into an unknown world that is responsible for the death of the girl he loves. Brick's wit, characterization, and darkness in tune with Johnson's rich visual style, have brought a freshness to the cliched "high school" movie scene.

Needless to say, I was excited about Johnson's sophomore effort, The Brothers Bloom. That is, until I saw the trailer.

The Brothers Bloom follows the Bloom Brothers, the best con men in the world, Mark Ruffalo and Adrien Brody, as they set out to perform one last heist. Their target is the eccentric Rachel Weisz who is the heiress to a massive fortune. Apparently comedy (and probably disappointment if you're me) ensues.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Adrien Brody, Rachel Weisz, and even Mark Ruffalo. But the trailer has just totally diluted any interest I had. The slapstick is head-in-hands stupid, and the premise of yet another heist film does not satisfy my excessive imagination. Check out the trailer below.








The buzz after this trailer's debut has been fairly positive, and frankly I don't understand it. Am I missing something? Even so, I will most likely still see this one. It is set for release on October 24, 2008.

1 comments:

Wesley said...

I didn't like it. Which is a shame because I loved Brick. Oh well.