Monday, July 7, 2008

New Watchmen Video

Hey guys. I meant to have my "Retro Review" up by now but it's still taking me a while to get it down (not sure why) so I'm going to have to put off its posting until later tonight (I have to go to work in an hour). Anyways, I figured I'd give you guys a little something before then.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the Watchmen movie. Watchmen is quite simply the greatest graphic novel that I have ever read. It is just perfect. It's scope is amazing epic, it's characters real and identifiable, and the storytelling is captivating and very thought-out. It's basically untouchable. So, obviously, it's going to be very hard to bring to the big screen. When I heard that Zack Synder, the director of 300 and the Dawn of the Dead remake, was at the helm, I was even less enthusiastic. Synder definitely is a comic book fan boy but, honestly, he's not the best director in the world. And for the Watchmen movie, you need the best director you can find. There's a lot going on in that graphic novel. I'm not sure if he will be able to pull it off.

Still, everything that I've seen on the set design of this movie is spot-on. It does look like they did their best to create the alternate 1980's world that is presented in the graphic novel. Click here to see the latest set design video in which David Gibbons, the artist of the graphic novel (the writer, Alan Moore, wants nothing to do with the movie- he's very anti-Hollywood), visits the set and talks about how much of a great job they have done in recreating the world of the graphic novel.

Overall, it looks like great intentions went into this adaptation. Hopefully, that will come through when the film is released next year. If done right, it could be absolutely incredible. Still, Synder has a lot to prove to me. 

Source: UGO

3 comments:

Jason said...

I am not real familiar with Watchmen, but it does look really epic. I am looking around the internet now for a used copy of the graphic novel, just so I can get a sense of what you tried to explain in your post. You made me really want to see this Wesley. Great post, good video!

Wesley said...

Read it immediately. It's honestly the only graphic novel that you ever HAVE to read in your life (though I'd recommend that you read more than one- I love the things). Watchmen is amazing though.

movie_fan225 said...

Who knows. I might even read it. If you promise to recant what you said about Dragonball Z.